The Suicide Attempt and Related Factors: A Cross-Sectional Study in Northeast of Iran
Keywords:Suicide attempt, trauma, women suicide attemp
Background: Suicide attempt is an important psychological problem all over the world, and its upward trend is alarming due to its harmful consequences on family, society, and the economy. This study was conducted with the aim of presenting a picture of suicide attempts and related factors in Northeastern Iran.
Methods: In this cross-sectional descriptive analytical study, the trauma registration information forms of the ministry of health of Iran, were used in the emergency department(ED) of three hospitals in the city of Shahrood within two Iranian calender years. The data of people who attempted suicide and referred to ED of these hospitals were collected by trained nurses. Analysis was done by IBM SPSS statistics version 23. The significant level was considered 0.05.
Results: The findings showed that 793 individuals with suicide attempts were referred to the ED of hospitals within 2 years. Among them 321 (40.5%) were men and 470 (59.3%) were women. The rate of suicide attempt among men was 125.87/100,000,among women 186.00/100,000,totally155.84 /100,000. Suicide attempted in the age group under 30 (71.2%) was more than in other age groups and complete suicide was significantly more in men. The ratio of male : female suicide attempts was 0.68. In the age group of 10 to 60, the percentage of suicide attempts was higher in women than in men, but in the age group of 60 to 80, the percentage of suicide attempts was higher in men, and this difference was significantly higher (p-value=0.035). In addition, there was a significant difference in the place of suicide attempts in men and women (p-value=0.029).
Conclusion: Our results is more than Iranian average. Considering youth and teenagers, especially girls are vulnerable to suicide attempts, are teachers of a happy and dynamic generation in the near future. Effective preventive interventions are essential. These local interventions can be designed to provide psychological consultation and mental health educational services to families and individuals, and continuous monitoring of people with a history of suicide attempts is crucial.
Keywords: Suicide attempt, Iran, Shahroud, trauma, women suicide attemp
2- Balvardi M, Imani Goghary Z, Babaee K, Izadabadi Z. Suicide and Attempted Suicide Epidemiology in Sirjan in 2018. International Journal of High Risk Behaviors and Addiction. 2021;10(2):-.
3. World Health Organization. Suicide 2021 [Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/suicide.
4. Mirahmadizadeh A, Rezaei F, Mokhtari AM, Gholamzadeh S, Baseri A. Epidemiology of suicide attempts and deaths: a population-based study in Fars, Iran (2011–16). Journal of Public Health. 2020;42(1):e1-e11.
5. Mivehyan M. Investigating suicidal suicide factors in kermanshah province. Journal of Civil & Legal Sciences (Ghanonyar). 2017;3(3):99-117.
6. American Foundation for suicide prevention. Sicide Statistics 2021 [Available from: https://afsp.org/suicide-statistics/.
7. Freeman A, Mergl R, Kohls E, Székely A, Gusmao R, Arensman E, et al. A cross-national study on gender differences in suicide intent. BMC Psychiatry. 2017;17(1):234.
8. Tandon R, Nathani MK. Increasing Suicide Rates Across Asia- A Public Health Crisis. Asian Journal of Psychiatry. 2018;36:A2-A4.
9. Hassanian-Moghaddam H, Zamani N. Suicide in Iran: The facts and the figures from nationwide reports. Iranian journal of psychiatry. 2017;12(1):73.
10. Lin C-Y, Harnod T, Lin C-L, Kao C-H. Suicide Attempt and Suicidal Drug Overdose in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients With or Without Depression. Frontiers in Psychiatry. 2020;11.
11. Goñi Sarriés A, Blanco Beregaña M, Azcárate Jiménez L, Peinado Jaro R, López Goñi JJ. Are previous suicide attempts a risk factor for completed suicide? Psicothema. 2018.
12. Bachmann S. Epidemiology of suicide and the psychiatric perspective. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2018;15(7):1425.
13. Organization WH. National suicide prevention strategies: progress, examples and indicators. 2018.
14. Rostami C, Daliri S, Sayehmiri K, Delpisheh A, Sayehmiri F. The incidence of suicide attempt in Iran (2001-12): A meta-analysis. 2016;19(7):e69752.
15. Rostami C, Daliri S, Sayehmiri K, Delpisheh A, Sayehmiri F. The incidence of suicide attempt in Iran (2001-12): A meta-analysis. Journal of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. 2016;19(7).
16. Daliri S, Bazyar J, Sayehmiri K, Delpisheh A, Sayehmiri F. The incidence rates of suicide attempts and successful suicides in seven climatic conditions in Iran from 2001 to 2014: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences. 2017;21(6):1-15.
17. Sharif Nia H, Heidari M, Naghavi N, Lehto RH, Haghdoost AA, Jafari-Koulaee A, et al. Age changes and suicidal activity in iran over the past decade: a systematic review and meta-analysis. OMEGA-Journal of death and dying. 2020:0030222820966934.
18. Vijayakumar L. Suicide in women. Indian journal of psychiatry. 2015;57(Suppl 2):S233-8.
19. Hojjat S, Hatami S, Norozi Khalili M, Kazemi S, Danesh M, Samadi bilehsavar A, et al. Demographic characteristics of patients with suicide attempt in Bojnurd 2014. Journal of North Khorasan University of Medical Sciences. 2016;7(3):537-50.
20. Mobasheri M, Imani R, Alidosti M, Khosravi N. Epidemiologic study of suicide attempt cases in Chaharamahal and Bakhtiari province in 2003-2012. 2013;1(4):e82312.
21. Taherifard A, Ahmadinia H, Vazirinejad R, Javadi Z, Tabatabaei SZ, Rezaeian M. A study of people who attempted suicide referred to the emergency ward of Ali Ibn Abi Taleb hospital, Rafsanjan, Iran (2016). Journal of Occupational Health and Epidemiology. 2018;7(4):201-8.
22. Piraee E, Shahkolahi Z, Salehiniya H. Epidemiological Study of Suicide and Attempted Suicide and Related Factors in Kohgiluyeh, Iran. Journal of Isfahan Medical School. 2014;32(305):1706-17.
23. Tsirigotis K, Gruszczynski W, Tsirigotis M. Gender differentiation in methods of suicide attempts. Medical science monitor : international medical journal of experimental and clinical research. 2011;17(8):Ph65-70.
24. Furqatovich UF, Sattorovich EZ. SUICIDE–AS A GLOBAL PROBLEM FACING HUMANITY. Web of Scientist: International Scientific Research Journal. 2022;3(02):349-54.
25. Zarenezhad M, Gorgi Z, Sheikh Fathollahi M, Gholamzadeh S, Ghadipasha M, Rezaeian M. Epidemiological Survey of Suicide in Fars Province in the south of Iran during 2003 to 2011. Journal of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences. 2015;13(12):1129-40.
26 Bazrafshan M-R, Delam H. The factors influencing suicide attempts among adolescents: A review article. Journal of Health Sciences & Surveillance System. 2020;8(1):10-5.
27. Doost Mohammadi F, Rezaeian M. The Steps to Develop a Comprehensive Suicide Prevention Strategy: A Narrative Review. Journal of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences. 2020;18(11):1155-82.
28. Zalsman G, Hawton K, Wasserman D, van Heeringen K, Arensman E, Sarchiapone M, et al. Suicide prevention strategies revisited: 10-year systematic review. The lancet Psychiatry. 2016;3(7):646-59.
The Copyright Form should be downloaded and signed by corresponding author in the fourth step "upload supplementary files" during submission process.
After acceptance, copyright form should be downloaded and signed by all authors one by one ( "summery --> supp. file" part and click on "add a supplementary file" link).