Development and Validation of a Premarital Education Program based on Mental Health Literacy
Keywords:Premarital education, Educational program, Mental health literacy
Background: A successful marriage is essential to the formation of a healthy family. Choosing a spouse is the first and most crucial step in establishing a successful marriage. This study aimed to develop and validate a mental health literacy-based premarital education program.
Methods: To conduct a qualitative inquiry, the current study used the Delphi technique. The statistical population of this study consists of psychologists and premarital counseling professionals. The present study's sample consists of 47 individuals who were recruited using a method of purposive sampling. Using a questionnaire developed by the researchers, the components of the concept of mental health literacy were examined. Using Kendall's coordination coefficient, the level of consensus among Delphi method participants was determined. Then, Lawshe's content validity ratio was utilized to assess the content validity of the program based on this component.
Results: Seven components of physical and physiological health, mental and cognitive health, emotional and mental health, social and communication health, economic and financial health, spiritual and religious health, and mental health literacy were identified based on the results of two questionnaire stages using the Delphi method. In addition, the results reveal that the value of Kendall's coefficient for all components is 0.29 and the significance level for Kendall's coordination coefficient is 0.05, indicating that there is a significant level of agreement among the Delphi method participants. The index of content ratio (CVR) for the educational program was greater than the value calculated using the Lawshe method (0.85). Therefore, the content validity of the mental health literacy educational program is satisfactory.
Conclusions: Considering the validity of the educational program, it is recommended that it be implemented in family education centers.
Keywords: Premarital education, Educational program, Mental health literacy.
2. Kepler, A. Marital satisfaction: The impact of premarital and couples counseling.2015. https://ir.stthomas.edu/ssw_mstrp/466
3. Ripley JS, Worthington Jr EL, Kent VM, Loewer E, Chen ZJ. Spiritually incorporating couple therapy in practice: Christian-accommodated couple therapy as an illustration. Psychotherapy. 2022 Mar 24. https://psycnet.apa.org/doi/10.1037/pst0000411
4. Birinci FB, Er RA. Quality of family planning counseling: An evaluation in the context of premarital counseling services carried out within a provincial health directorate in Turkey. African Journal of Reproductive Health. 2022 Oct 1;26(10). https://hdl.handle.net/10520/ejc-ajrh_v26_n10_a12
5. Bahari F. Premarital counseling and remarriage (guide to working with couples). Print 1. Tehran: Roshd Publishing,2018. http://dx.doi.org/10.32598/jhnm.31.2.2094[Persian]
6. WANG X, ZHU T. Marriage education based on the three-stage preventive model. Advances in Psychological Science. 2020 Oct 15;28(10):1742. https://doi.org/10.3724/SP.J.1042.2020.01742
7. Rajabi G, Abbasi G. The effectiveness of premarital counseling based on a relationship education program on the idealistic expectations of single young adults. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology. 2020 Jan 10;25(4):384-95 http://dx.doi.org/10.32598/ijpcp.25.4.3. [Persian]
8. Bostani Khalesi, Z., & Simbar, M. Challenges of premarital education program in Iran. Journal of Holistic Nursing and Midwifery,2017; 27(1): 9-18. [Persian].
9. Vandenbosch J, Van den Broucke S, Schinckus L, Schwarz P, Doyle G, Pelikan J, Muller I, Levin-Zamir D, Schillinger D, Chang P, Terkildsen-Maindal H. The impact of health literacy on diabetes self-management education. Health education journal. 2018 Apr;77(3):349-62. doi/abs/10.1177/0017896917751554
10. Choi, Y. J. Effects of a program to improve mental health literacy for married immigrant women in Korea. Archives of psychiatric nursing, 2017;31(4): 394-398.
11. Sahraeian, Maryam. Validation of the Iranian-Iranian Mental Health Literacy Scale: A study of convergent validity with the Iranian version of the Urban Mental Health Literacy Scale. Master Thesis. Semnan University.2017[Persian]
12. Jorm, A. Mental Health Literacy: Empowering the community to take action for action for better mental health. Am. Psychol. 2012, 67, 231–243.
13. World Health Organization . The world health report: Mental health: new understanding, new hope.2013
14. Wei, Y., McGrath, P. J., Hayden, J., & Kutcher, S. Mental health literacy measures evaluating knowledge, attitudes and help-seeking: a scoping review. BMC psychiatry,2015; 15(1): 291.
15. Kim Y. Gender Differences in the link between marital status and the risk of cognitive impairment: results From the Korean Longitudinal Study of Aging. The International Journal of Aging and Human Development. 2022 Jun;94(4):415-35. https://doi.org/10.1177/00914150211024181
16. Ganji J, HasaniMoghadam S, Nia HS, Aarabi M. Communication Patterns and Related Factors among Iranian Couples: A Cross-sectional Study. Sudan Journal of Medical Sciences. 2021 Jun 24;16(1):43-55. https://doi.org/10.18502/sjms.v16i1.8936.
17. Jafari A, Alami A, Charoghchian E, Delshad Noghabi A, Nejatian M. The impact of effective communication skills training on the status of marital burnout among married women. BMC women's health. 2021 Dec;21(1):1-0. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12905-021-01372-8
18. Wilburn,V.R & Smith, D. E. Stress, Self Esteem, and Suicidal Ideation in Llate Adolescents. Adolecence,2005; 40: 33-45.
19. Ekufu RN, Anetoh NJ. COMMUNICATION PATTERN AND EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE AS FACTORS IN MARITAL SATISFACTION IN NEW NORMAL. COOU Journal of Educational Research. 2022 Nov 2;7(1). https://www.cooujer.com/index.php/COOUJER/issue/view/3
20. Argyle M. The skills, rules, and goals of relationships. InThe emerging field of personal relationships 2021 Oct 7 (pp. 23-39). Routledge. https://www.taylorfrancis.com/chapters/edit/10.4324/9781003164005-4/skills-rules-goals-relationships-michael-argyle
21. Hart LM, Mason RJ, Kelly CM, Cvetkovski S, Jorm AF. ‘teen Mental Health First Aid’: a description of the program and an initial evaluation. International journal of mental health systems. 2016 Dec;10(1):1-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13033-016-0034-1.
22. Rusch N, Evans-Lacko S, Henderson C, Flach C, Thornicroft G. Public knowledge and attitudes as predictors of help seeking and disclosure in mental illness. Psychiatr Serv.2011;62(6):675–8.
23. Na, S., Ryder, A. G., & Kirmayer, L. J. Toward a culturally responsive model of mental health literacy: Facilitating help‐seeking among East Asian immigrants to North America. American Journal of Community Psychology, 2016;58(1-2): 211-225
24. Elyamani, R., Naja, S., Al-Dahshan, A., Hamoud, H., Bougmiza, M. I., & Alkubaisi, N. Mental health literacy in Arab states of the Gulf Cooperation Council: A systematic review. Plos one, 2021;16(1): 156-177. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0245156
25. Fayyaz Saberi, M. H., Toozandehjani, H., Samari, A. A., & Nejat, H. Predicting marriage stability based on marital adjustment and sexual self-disclosure by the mediating role of emotional intelligence. Research in Clinical Psychology and Counseling, 2020;9(2): 56-70. https://tpccp.um.ac.ir/index.php/article_33397.html?lang=en
26. Stutzman S .Premarital counseling and culture: A narrative inquiry of couples' insights. Graduate Theses and Dissertations. Iowa State University. Journal of Family therapy2011; 2:65-81. https://researchrepository.rmit.edu.au/view/delivery/61RMIT_INST/12255881940001341/13255881930001341
27. Endah Setyowati and Dr. Nurul Qomariyah, “The Effect of Religiosity on Forgiveness of Married Individuals,” International Research Journal of Advanced Engineering and Science, Volume 7, Issue 2, pp. 109-115, 2022. http://irjaes.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/IRJAES-V7N2P16Y22.pdf
The Copyright Form should be downloaded and signed by corresponding author in the fourth step "upload supplementary files" during submission process.
After acceptance, copyright form should be downloaded and signed by all authors one by one ( "summery --> supp. file" part and click on "add a supplementary file" link).