The Effect of Perceived Social Support and Spiritual Capital in Psychological Resilience of Martial Athletes
Keywords:Perceived social support, Spiritual capital, Resilience, Martial sports
Background: This study aimed to analyze the effect of perceived social support and spiritual capital on the psychological resilience of martial athletes.
Methods: The statistical society of the current research male athletes of martial sports clubs in Kermanshah city among whom the sample was chosen based on random cluster sample. Considering the percentage error to be 0.5, test power to be 0.80, effect size to be 0.15, 160 samples were taken as the sample size for the present study. To heighten the validity of the research and the possibility of the removal of some of the samples, the sample size was considered as 180 people. The data was gathered based on the perceived social support questionnaire by Zimet et al (1988), spiritual capital questionnaire by Golparvar et al (2014), and short-form of resilience by Conner-Davidson and was analyzed through Pierson’s Correlation test and stepwise regression analysis.
Results: The results of the correlation test indicated that both variables of perceived social support and spiritual capital have a positive and significant relation to psychological resilience, respectively (r=0.16, Pvalue=0.03), (r=0.17, Pvalue=0.02). However, the result of stepwise regression showed that perceived social support has the main effect in helping us predict the resilience of martial athletes (Pvalue≤0.05).
Conclusions: Therefore, according to the results, one can claim that upon the increase in perceived social support, the psychological resilience of the martial athletes also increases.
Keywords: Perceived social support, Spiritual capital, Resilience, Martial sports
2. Kuan G, Roy J. Goal profiles, mental toughness and its influence on performance outcomes among Wushu athletes. Journal of sports science & medicine. 2007;6(CSSI-2):28.
3. Niknam Z, Chahardahcheric M, Ebrahimi F, Asgari A. compare the resilience and creativity emotional of impact and non-impact sports in AmateurAthletic man. Sports Psychology. 2018;3(1):1-8.
4. Masten AS, Barnes AJ. Resilience in children: Developmental perspectives. Children. 2018;5(7):98.
5. Yamaguchi S, Kawata Y, Shibata N, Hirosawa M, editors. Direct and Indirect Effect of Hardiness on Mental Health Among Japanese University Athletes. International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics; 2017: Springer.
6. Saadattalab A, Jafari M. Mediator Role of spiritual happiness in the relationship between social capital and social support with resiliency in employees against, Covid-19 epidemic diseases in the period of Social distance. J Res Psychol Health. 2020;14(1):115-29.
7. Tamers SL, Beresford SA, Cheadle AD, Zheng Y, Bishop SK, Thompson B. The association between worksite social support, diet, physical activity and body mass index. Preventive medicine. 2011;53(1-2):53-6.
8. Boland H, Saadat S. The Relationship Between Perceived Social Support From Family and Psychological Resilience with Academic Self-efficacy Among University Students. Education Strategies in Medical Sciences. 2017;10(2):115-22.
9. So W-Y, Swearingin B, Robbins J, Lynch P, Ahmedna M. Relationships between body mass index and social support, physical activity, and eating habits in African American university students. Asian nursing research. 2012;6(4):152-7.
10. Wu M, Yang Y, Zhang D, Zhao X, Sun Y, Xie H, et al. Association between social support and health-related quality of life among Chinese rural elders in nursing homes: the mediating role of resilience. Quality of Life Research. 2018;27(3):783-92.
11. Chang P-J, Yarnal C. The effect of social support on resilience growth among women in the Red Hat Society. The Journal of Positive Psychology. 2018;13(1):92-9.
12. Kang X, Fang Y, Li S, Liu Y, Zhao D, Feng X, et al. The benefits of indirect exposure to trauma: the relationships among vicarious posttraumatic growth, social support, and resilience in ambulance personnel in China. Psychiatry investigation. 2018;15(5):452.
13. Eskandari E, Jalali A, Moosavi M, Akrami N. Predicting Psychological Resilience based on Social Support and Attachment Style mediated by Self-efficacy and Meaning in Life. Positive Psychology Research. 2019;5(2):17-30.
14. Mashayekhi Dolatabadi M, Mohammadi M. Resilience and spiritual intelligence predictors of as academic self-efficacy in urban and rural students. Journal of school psychology. 2014;3(2):205-25.
15. Hadden BW, Knee CR. Finding meaning in us: The role of meaning in life in romantic relationships. The Journal of Positive Psychology. 2018;13(3):226-39.
16. Ellinger AE, Musgrove CCF, Ellinger AD, Bachrach DG, Baş ABE, Wang Y-L. Influences of organizational investments in social capital on service employee commitment and performance. Journal of business research. 2013;66(8):1124-33.
17. GHarib, A., Ali, T. A., Abbasian, S., & Pourashraf, Y. (2017). Morerating role of spiritual in the relationship between social capital and psychological capital(case study: University of Mazandaran's Employees).
18. Hosseini M, Zardoshtiyan S, Karimi J. Explain The relationship between spiritual intelligence and aggression with mediating role of resiliency in between Asian kung fu workers. Scientific Journal Of Organizational Behavior Management in Sport Studies. 2018;5(1):55-62.
19. Abdollahi SH, Fariba Zarani , Jalil Fathabadi.(2018). The role of social support and resilience in quality of life among adolescents with Chronic renal failure. Health psychology, 6(24),31-52.
20. Golparvar M, Masahebi M, Abedini H, Adibi Z, Abdolu F. Construt and Validation of Spiritual Capital and Spiritual Wellbeing Scales for senile people. Quarterly of Educational Measurement. 2015;5(19):130-49.
21. Smith BW, Dalen J, Wiggins K, Tooley E, Christopher P, Bernard J. The brief resilience scale: assessing the ability to bounce back. International journal of behavioral medicine. 2008;15(3):194-200.
22. Hamid N, Keikhosravani M, Babamiri M, Dehghani M. The relationship between mental health, spiritual intelligence with resiliency in student of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. 2012.
23. Siddiqi Arfaei F. Yazdkhasti A. Nadi Ravandi M. predictability Resiliencybased on spiritual intelligence in students and scholars. Culture in The Islamic University.2014 ; (4)3.
24. Robertson J. Spirituality among public school principals and its relationship to job satisfaction and resiliency: Union University; 2008.
25. Priestley J. The experience of religious varieties: William James and the postmodern age. Spiritual education. 2001:184-94.
26. Ahmadi Z, Mehrabi HA. Relationship between social support and resilience with posttraumatic growth: the mediating role of stress coping styles. Journal of Psychology New Ideas. 2020;5(9):1-13.
27. Li F, Luo S, Mu W, Li Y, Ye L, Zheng X, et al. Effects of sources of social support and resilience on the mental health of different age groups during the COVID-19 pandemic. BMC psychiatry. 2021;21(1):1-14.
28. Razzaghi Yenghaje E, Hoseinifar J, Zadyunes S, Marefat Ajerlu M, Babaie Hefzabad S. Prediction of Psychological Resilience of Students Based on Attachment Styles and Social Support. Rooyesh-e-Ravanshenasi Journal (RRJ). 2019;8(7):85-96.
29. Ring A, Jacoby A, Baker GA, Marson A, Whitehead MM. Does the concept of resilience contribute to understanding good quality of life in the context of epilepsy? Epilepsy & Behavior. 2016;56:153-64.
30. Porter E, Chambless DL. Social anxiety and social support in romantic relationships. Behavior therapy. 2017;48(3):335-48.
31. Tabatabayi, S. M., Ghareaghaji, S.. A practical guide to collaborative school-based prevention (with an emphasis on substance abuse). Tehran: The first art. (2007)
32. Roberts ME, Bernstein MH, Colby SM. The effects of eliciting implicit versus explicit social support among youths susceptible for late-onset smoking. Addictive behaviors. 2016;62:60-4.
The Copyright Form should be downloaded and signed by corresponding author in the fourth step "upload supplementary files" during submission process.
After acceptance, copyright form should be downloaded and signed by all authors one by one ( "summery --> supp. file" part and click on "add a supplementary file" link).