Communication Skills and Related Factors in Health Care Providers
Introduction: Communication skills have a significant impact on the medical, psychological, and social aspects of patient satisfaction. Furthermore, acquisition of these skills by the staff reduces their burnout level. The aim of this study was to evaluate the communication skills of medical personnel.
Methods: This descriptive study was performed on 280 medical personnel of Shahroud University of Medical Sciences in 2019. Data were collected through the standard Queendom Communication Skills Questionnaire. The questionnaire consists of 34 items with the minimum score of 34 and the maximum score of 170. The data were analyzed using and T test.
Results: The mean age of the participants was 32.52± 6.2 years and 82.3% of them were female. On average, the mean score of the communication skills of the participants was 107.94± 9. 3. Communication skill score was found to be optimal in this study. Mean work experience was significantly higher in the high communication skills group compared to the low communication skills group.
Conclusion: Based on the results of this study, communication skills of medical personnel was at a desired level. Due to the importance of communication skills in patients and staff, and for the improvement of these skills in newly-recruited staff, it is recommended that their communication skills be assessed and training workshops be regularly held.
Keys word: Communication Skill, Medical Personnel, satis
2. Wigham CR, Chanier T. A study of verbal and nonverbal communication in Second Life – the ARCHI21 experience. ReCALL. 2013;25(1):63-84.
3. Sharifirad GR, Rezaeian M, Jazini A, Etemadi ZS. Knowledge, attitude and performance of academic members regarding effective communication skills in education. J Educ Health Promot. 2012;1:42-.
4. Karami A. The Relationship between Empowerment and Communication Skills with Job Performance of Ilam Office of Vocational Training Staff. Journal of New Advances in Psychology, Training and Education. 2018;1(1):61-78.
5. Tabibi SJ, Nasiripoor A, Zahiri abyaneh Z. Relationship Between Managers Communication Skill and Staff Motivation in Modarres Hospital of Tehran. Hospital. 2013;12(2):73-80.
6. Mafi L, Asefzadeh S. Association of Emotional Intelligence and communication skills with patients in nurses. The Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences. 2014;18(3):34-40.
7. Keshtkaran A, Heidari A, Bastani P. Study Of Managers' Communication Skills Based On The Staff's View In Shiraz University Of Medical Sciences. Payavard Salamat. 2012;5(4):41-8.
8. Hemmati M, Sheikhbaglu M, Baghaie R. Relationship between the communication skill of nurse - patient with patient safety in the critical care units. Journal of Clinical Nursing and Midwifery. 2014;3(2):77-84.
9. Darban F, Balouchi A, Narouipou A, Safarzaei E, Shahdadi H. Effect of Communication Skills Training on the Burnout of Nurses: A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research : JCDR. 2016;10(4):IC01-IC4.
10. Smith S, Adam D, Kirkpatrick P, McRobie G. Using solution-focused communication to support patients. Nursing standard (Royal College of Nursing (Great Britain) : 1987). 2011;25(52):42-7.
11. Khatami S, Asefzadeh S. Communication Skills of Medical Interns of Qazvin UMS The Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences. 2007;11(3 (44)):79-81.
12. Motaghed Larijani Z, Vakili MM, Gofranipour F, Mirmohammadkhani M. Effects of health education program on Behvarz's interpersonal communication skills in Semnan University of Medical Sciences. koomesh. 2015;16(2):229-38.
13. Ahmadi A, Ahmadi M, Elyasi F, Ahmadi A, Ahmadi N. The Relationship of Occupational Burnout and Communication Skills in Nurses. Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences. 2013;23(106):130-9.
14. Madula P, Kalembo FW, Yu H, Kaminga AC. Healthcare provider-patient communication: a qualitative study of women's perceptions during childbirth. Reprod Health. 2018;15(1):135.
15. Mirzaei Alavijeh M, Motlagh MI, Hosseini SN, Jalilian F. Nursing Students Communication Skills With Patients in Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. Research in Medical Education. 2017;9(3):47-54.
16. habibi M, Gholami Fesharaki M, Mohamadian M. The Effectiveness of Training Communication Skills of Emergency Medical Staff on Patients Satisfaction Attitudes. 2 Journal of Nursing Education. 2018;7(3):28-33.
17. Leonard P. Exploring ways to manage healthcare professional-patient communication issues. Support Care Cancer. 2017;25(1):7-9.
18. Fakhr-Movahedi A, Rahnavard Z, Salsali M, Negarandeh R. Exploring Nurse's Communicative Role in Nurse-Patient Relations: A Qualitative Study. J Caring Sci. 2016;5(4):267-76.
19. Safavi M, Ghasemipenchah s, Fesharaki M, Esmaeilpour Bandboni M. Communication Skills and Its Related Factors in Guilans Teaching Hospitals' Nurses 94. Avicenna Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Care. 2016;24(1):50-7.
20. Kashani F, Moghimian M, Salarvand S, Kashani P. Nurses' knowledge, Attitude, Practice about Effective Communication Skills in Patient Education. Journal of Research Development in Nursing and Midwifery. 2015;12(2):59-67.
21. Salehi S, Hashemi F, Avaznejad N, Karami F. The Effect of Participatory Teaching of Positive Thinking Skills on Nurses Communication Skills in the Emergency Department of a Teaching Hospital. Health_Based Research. 2018;4(1):63-76.
22. Nikmanesh P, Kavosi Z, Sadeghi A, Yusefi A. Effect of Communication Skills Training of Nurses on Patient Satisfaction about Nursing Services in Hospitals Affiliated to Shiraz University of Medical Sciences. Hospital. 2018;17(2):59-70.
23. Ardalan F, Bagheri-Saweh MI, Etemadi-Sanandaji M, Nouri B, Valiee S. Barriers of nurse-patient communication from the nurses' point of view in educational hospitals affiliated to Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences. Nurs Pract Today. 2018;5(3):326-34.
24. Swan BA, McGinley MA. Nurse-patient communication: A catalyst for improvement. Nursing Management. 2016:26-8.
25. Pangh B, Jouybari L, Vakili MA, Sanagoo A, Torik A. The Effect of Reflection on Nurse-Patient Communication Skills in Emergency Medical Centers. J Caring Sci. 2019;8(2):75-81.
26. Sadeghi Shermeh M, Amiri H, Karimi Zarchi A, Bahari F, Binesh A. Effectiveness of Solution-Focused Communication Training [SFCT] on Nurses Communication Skills. Iranian Journal of Military Medicine. 2013;14(4):269-75.
27. Javaher A, khaghanizade M, Ebadi A. Study of Communication Skills in Nursing Students and its Association with Demographic Characteristics. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2014;14(1):23-31.
28. Kermani B, Darvish H, Ahmadi A, Bani Asadi A, Kolivand P. Correlation between Communication Skills and Nurses' Standardized Communication in Hazrat Rasoul Akram Complex, 2014. The Neuroscience Journal of Shefaye Khatam. 2015;3(3):16-24.
29. Vermeir P, Vandijck D, Degroote S, Peleman R, Verhaeghe R, Mortier E, et al. Communication in healthcare: a narrative review of the literature and practical recommendations. Int J Clin Pract. 2015;69(11):1257-67.
30. Spiridonov SI. Causes for Ineffective Communication between Medical Specialists. Journal of IMAB - Annual Proceeding (Scientific Papers). 2017;23(3):1623-6.
31. Nasiripour A, Saeidzadeh Z, Sabahi Bidgoli M. Correlation between nurses' communication skills and inpatient service quality in the hospitals of Kashan University of Medical Sciences. Journal of Health Promotion Management. 2012;1(1):45-54.
32. shakerinia I. Relationship between nursing students' communication skills with Perceived quality of care by elderly patients. Journal of Geriatric Nursing. 2016;2(4):22-34.
33. Nazari S, Jalili Z, Tavakoli R. The Effect of Education Based on the BASNEF Model on Nurses Communication Skills with Patients in Hospitals Affiliated to Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Iranian Journal of Health Education and Health Promotion. 2019;7(1):10-20.
34. Queendom R. Communication skills Test-Revised. 2004 [
35. Pourasghar M, Najafi K, Tirgari A, Yazdani J, Falaki M, Salehi F. Investigating Employees’ and Health Care Practitioners’ Communication Skills. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology. 2017;23(2):208-17.
36. Rostami H, Golchin M, Mirzaei A. Evaluation of Communication Skills of Nurses from Hospitalized Patients' Perspective. Nursing and Midwifery Journal. 2012;10(1):27-34.
37. Hossini Nasab S, KH. AK. A Study of Administrative Personnels’ Communicative Skills Status and its Relationship With Teachers’ Satisfaction in Education of District One in Ardabil City in 2011. Journal of Instruction and Evaluation. 2013;6(23):13-30.
38. Mirhaghjou S, Nayebi N, Majd Teymouri R, Kazemnejad leily E. Communication skills and related factors within patient by nursing student. Journal of Holistic Nursing And Midwifery. 2015;25(2):93-101.
The Copyright Form should be downloaded and signed by corresponding author in the fourth step "upload supplementary files" during submission process.
After acceptance, copyright form should be downloaded and signed by all authors one by one ( "summery --> supp. file" part and click on "add a supplementary file" link).