The Effectiveness of Choice Theory Education on Reducing Work-Family Conflict of Women
AbstractBackground: One of the most significant issues of areas of work and family interactions is work-family conflict. Dominant traditional and stereotypical attitudes toward women’s roles and doing institutionalized house chores provoke problems such as a decline in organizational performance and adverse physical, mental, and behavioral effects in women. The purpose of this study was to explore the effectiveness of choice theory education on reducing work-family conflict of women working in the hospital. Methods: The quasi-experimental research conducted in a pre-test and post-test control group design aimed to examine the effectiveness of the choice theory education on reducing work-family conflict of 12 participants in the experimental group and 12 participants in the control group who were selected by multistage cluster sampling. Results: The result of Covariance analysis revealed that there was a significant difference between the experimental and control group in post-test (Pvalue< 0.001, F=50.13). Conclusions: It can be concluded that the education of choice theory's concepts can be used as one of the strategies of reducing the work-family conflict to confront its negative consequences in organizations and families.
2. Maghsoodi S, Bostan Z. Study the problems arising from simultaneity of domestic and social roles of employed women in the city of Kerman, Women's Studies 2005; 2(5). [ in Persian]
3. Greenhaus JH, Powell GN. When work and family collide: Deciding between competing role demands. Organizational behavior and human decision processes 2003; 90(2)
4. Sabeti Z, Oghani Isfahan F, Shafiabadi A, and Farahbakhsh K. The effectiveness of the lifestyle components on reducing work-family conflicts of female nurses in Shahid Beheshti Hospital of Kashan. Journal of cultural-education of women and family 2015; 8(26). [ in Persian]
5. Greenhaus JH, Beutell NJ. Sources of conflict between work and family roles. Academy of Management Review 1985; 10, 76-88
6. Rastegar Khaled A. Work-Family-Gender. Tehran: Socio-Cultural Council of Women; 2007. [ in Persian]
7. Allen T, Herst D, Bruck C & Sutton M.(2002). Consequences associated with work-to-family conflict: A review and agenda for future research. Journal of Occupational health Psychology; 5, 278-308.
8. Westring AF, Rayan AM. Anticipated work-family conflict: A construct investigation. Journal of vocational Behavior 2011; 79, 596-610.
9. Day AL, Chamberlain TC. Committing to your work, spouse, and children: Implication for work-family conflict. Journal of Vocational Behavior 2006; 68: 116-130
10. Allen DT, Johnson R.,C, Saboe KN, Cho E, Dumani S, & Evan S. (2012). Dispositional variables and work-family conflict: A meta- analysis. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 80, 17-26.
11. Brummelhuis LL, Bakker AB, Euwema MC. Is family-to-work interference related to co-workers work outcome? Journal of Vocational Behavior 2012; 77, 461-46.
12. Anderson SE, Coffey BS, & Byerly RT. Formal organizational initiatives and workplace practices: Kinds to work-family conflict and job- related outcomes. Journal of Management 2002; 28, 787-810.
13. Hogan NL, Lambert EG, Jenkins M, Wambold S. The impact of occupational stress on correctional staff organizational commitment. Journal of contemporary Critical Justice 2006; 22 (1), 44-62.
14. Carlson D, Kacmar K. Work - family conflict in the organization: do Life roles values make a difference. Journal of Management 2000; 26(5), 1031-1054.
15. Sahebi A, Soltanifar A. Invitation to responsibility: Step by step process of reality therapy. Tehran: Sayeh Sokhan; 2016. [ in Persian]
16. Sahebi A. Reality Therapy by Glasser W. Tehran: Sayeh Sokhan; 2013. [ in Persian]
17. Sahebi A. Choice Theory: An Introduction to the psychology of hope by Glasser W. Tehran: Sayeh Sokhan; 2013. [ in Persian]
18. Carlson D, Kacmar K, Williams L. Construction and initial validation of a multidimensional measure of work-family conflict. Journal of Vocational Behavior 2000; 56: 76-249.
19. Motesharrei MH. Testing a theoretical model of work-family conflict of nurses in public hospitals of Shiraz (dissertation). Ahvaz: Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz 2011. [ in Persian]
20. Soleimanian AA, Doroudi H, Tatari M, Amani Z. The effectiveness of the group pattern of elaboration of positive perspectives on reducing work-family conflict, Journal of cultural-education of women and family 2016; 10 (32).[ in Persian]
21. Malmir H. The effectiveness of group therapy consultation with Fordyce joy pattern on reducing work-family conflict among female teachers in Tehran (dissertation). Tehran: Allameh Tabatabai University 2011. [ in Persian]
22. Mahtab M. The Effectiveness of systematic motivational counseling (SMC) on reducing work-family conflict of employed women of Bojnoord (dissertation). Bojnoord: Bojnoord University 2015. [ in Persian]
23. Emami M, Abedi, MR, and Javadzadeh Shahshahani A. Evaluating the effectiveness of therapy based on quality of life on reducing work-family conflict family-work in employed women in the Art and Cultural Organization of Tehran Municipality. The third national conference of consultation, Islamic Azad University of Khomeini Shahr, 2013. [ in Persian]
24. Shahrabi Farahani L. The effectiveness of a consulting based on Choice Theory on successful employment of female teachers in District 15 of Tehran (dissertation). Tehran: Allameh Tabatabai University of Tehran 2011. [ in Persian]
25. Eslami F. The effectiveness of group therapy reality on reducing lax behaviors and increased accountability of undergraduates of Allameh Tabatabaei University (dissertation). Tehran: Allameh Tabatabai University 2013. [ in Persian]
26. Wubbbolding RE. Brickell J. Resources for Teaching and Learning Choice Theory and Reality Therapy. International Journal of Choice Theory and Reality Therapy 2013; 1, 51-58.
27. Kazemi Mojarrad M, Bahrainian AM, Mohammadi Arya, AR. The effectiveness of training Choice Theory on quality of life and happiness in drug withdrawals, Quarterly scientific – research of health education and health promotion 2013; 2(2). [ in Persian]
The Copyright Form should be downloaded and signed by corresponding author in the fourth step "upload supplementary files" during submission process.
After acceptance, copyright form should be downloaded and signed by all authors one by one ( "summery --> supp. file" part and click on "add a supplementary file" link).